Dr Olson’s advice for a healthy 2017.
To create the best You and maintain long telomeres, I offer the following advice:
- Eat whole and fresh food, lots of green and colorful veggies and fruits.
- Eat good fats: seeds and nuts, olive, coconut, avocado, fish (omega 3). Get some Sun or Vit D3.
- Avoid processed “predigested” packaged foods: cereals, pastas, breads, pastries, cookies, bars.
- Allow a few times a week 12-17 hours between meals. Do not snack between dinner and breakfast.
- Avoid inflammatory foods such as cow products, wheat, fried, cured or laced with corn syrup.
- Exercise every day by walking and/or doing yoga. Schedule exercise in your day.
- Sleep 7 hours. If you snore check to see if you have sleep apnea. Melatonin helps sleep be more restorative and re-establishes loss of circadian rhythm. no phone or computer 2 hours before.
- Brush and floss to keep gum inflammation to a minimum. Brush your skin or get massage or hugs.
- Check your posture as you work, walk, drive, and hang out.
- Take time to be with yourself and focus your attention on your breath.
- Be with people that are nurturing to you with whom you can be who you are.
- Do not accept negative self-talk. Limit negative input from people, news-networks and internet.
- Send positive energy to all, including the difficult people in your life.
- Be kind to the innocent, the weak, the impoverished. Protect them.
- Aim for impeccable speech when you speak or write.
- Practice right action. How would you like your obituary to read?
- Try and do your best with your work, your family, and friends. Find inspiring mentors.
- Be mindful of the intensions and rational behind your behaviors. Take responsibility for you.
- Practice doing more with less.
- Express gratitude generously and keep a nightly gratitude journal.
- Be compassionate and forgiving of yourself. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes, poor choices, and carry some childhood trauma that holds us back. Challenge and let go of old thinking patterns that interfere with your fearlessness. Don’t miss the chance to express in this life all that you are meant to do.