Books that Dr. Olson has contributed to:
Management of Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer
Dr. Olson is the author of the “Integrative Approaches to Patients Undergoing Thyroid Surgery” chapter 23. You may just by individual chapters through Springer.
Springer International Publishing, 2017 (pp. 351-376)
Order from Amazon
Food intake and energy expenditure
Dr. Olson is the author of the “Effects of nutrition on reproductive capacity” chapter.
Bibliography of papers published by Dr. Olson:
All publications are in peer reviewed journals
- Olson, B.R.: Exercise-induced Amenorrhea. American Family Physician 39:213-221, 1989.
- Schulkin, D., Olson, B.R., and Levey, G.S.: Case Report: Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis in a Latin-American taking acetazolamide. American Journal of Medical Sciences 297(5):337, 1989.
- Burtis, W.J., Brady, T.G., Orloff, J.J., Ersbak, J.B., Warrell, R.P., Olson, B.R., Wu, T.L., Mitnick, M.E., Broadus, A.E., and Stewart, A.F.: Circulating parathyroid hormone-related protein in patients with humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy: Immunochemical characterization. New England Journal of Medicine322(16):1106, 1990.
- Olson, B.R., Drutarosky, M.D., Stricker, E.M., Verbalis, J.G.: Brain oxytocin receptors mediate corticotropin releasing factor-induced anorexia: rapid communication. Amer. J. Physiol. (Regulatory) 260(29):R448-R452, 1991.
- Olson, B.R., Drutarosky, M.D., Stricker, E.M., Verbalis, J.G.: Oxytocin and an oxytocin agonist administered centrally decreases food intake in rats. Peptides 12(1):113-118, 1991.
- Olson, B.R., Klein, I., Benner, R., Burdett, R., Trezpacz, P., Levey, G.S.: Hyperthyroid myopathy and the response to treatment. Thyroid 1(2):137-141, 1991.
- Olson, B.R., Drutarosky, M.D., Stricker, E.M. and Verbalis, J.G. Brain oxytocin-receptor antagonism blunts the effects of anorexigenic treatments in rats: Evidence for central oxytocin inhibition of food intake.Endocrinology, 129(2):785-791, 1991.
- Olson, B.R., Hoffman G.E., Sved A., Stricker E.M., Verbalis J.G. Cholecystokinin induces c-fos expression in hypothalamic Oxytocinergic Neurons projecting to the dorsal vagal complex. Brain Research, 569:238-248, 1992.
- Flanagan L.M., Olson, B.R., Sved A.F., Verbalis J.G., Stricker EM. Gastric motility in conscious rats given oxytocin and oxytocin antagonist centrally. Brain Research, 578:256-260, 1992.
- Olson, B.R., Freilino M., Hoffman G.E., Stricker E.M., Sved A.F., and Verbalis J.G. C-fos expression in rat brain and brainstem nuclei in response to treatments that alter food intake and gastric motility. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 4:93-106, 1993.
- Verbalis, J.G., Blackburn, R.E., Olson, B.R., and Stricker, E.M. Central oxytocin inhibition of food and salt ingestion: A mechanism for intake regulation of solute homeostasis. Regulatory Peptides 45:149-154, 1993.
- Olson, B.R., Rubino, D., Gumowski, J., Oldfield, E.H. Isolated hyponatremia after transsphenoidal pituitary surgery. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 80 (1):85-91, 1995.
- Olson, B.R., Cartledge, T., Sebring, N., Defensor, R., Nieman, L. A three day fast during the mid-follicular phase does not disrupt the reproductive axis of normal weight sedentary women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 80(4):1187-1193, 1995.
- Olson B.R., Scott, D.A., Wetzel, W., Elliot, S.,Tomic, M , Stoljikovich, S., Nieman, L.K and Wray S. Effects of Insulin-like growth factors I and II and insulin on the immortalized hypothalamic GTI-7 cell line. Neuroendocrinology 62(2):155-165, 1995.
- Elliot SE, Goldsmith P, Knepper M, Haughey M., and Olson BR. Urinary AQP-2 excretion in human urine: A potential marker of collecting duct responsiveness to Vasopressin J of American Society of Nephrology. 1996 7:403-409.
- Olson B.R., FormanM. , Lanza, E., L Kimzey, McAdams P, Brentzel S, Beecher, G., Raymond, B., Lanza, E., Guttsches, B. The relationship between sodium balance and menstrual cycle symptoms in normal women. Annals Int Medicine . 1996, 125:564-567.
- Muesing RA, Formann MR, Graubard BI, Beecher GR, Lanza E, McAdam PA,
Campbell WS, and Olson B.R Cyclic Changes in lipoproteins and apo-lipoproteins levels during the menstrual cycle in healthy pre-menopausal women on a controlled diet, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81; 3599-3603, 1996
- Forman MR, Beecher GR, Muesing R, Lanza E.,Graubard BI, Olson B.R., Campbell W.S., McAdam P., Raymond E., Schulman JD. The fluctuation of plasma carotenoid concentrations by phase of the menstrual Cycle: A controlled diet
study. Americal Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1996;64:559-565
- Ecelbarger CA, Nielsen S, Murase T, Olson, B.R., Baker EA, Knepper MA, Verbalis JG. Role of renal Aquaporins in the Escape from vasopressin-Induced Antidiuresis Journal of Clinical Investigation 99:1856-1863, 1997.
- Olson, B.R., Gumowski J., Rubino D. and , Oldfield, E.H. Pathophysiology of hyponatremia after transsphenoidal pituitary surgery. J of Neurosurgery.87:499-507, 1997.
- Alvero Ruben, Kimsey R., Sebring N, Reynolds E, Loughran M., Nieman L., and Olson, B.R. Food deprivation and reproductive dysfunction in Lean fasted Women. Journal of Clin Endocrinology and Metabolism 83; 76-80, 1998.
- Olson, B.R. Multifacets of thyroid disease in women: Four case report. J of Women’s Health. Vol 7(1): 85-91, 1998.
- Loffing J, Loffing-Cuenil D, Macher A, Hebert SC, Olson BR, Knepper MA, Rossier BC, Kaissling B. Localization of the amiloride-sensitive epithelial sodium channel and aquaporin-2 in rabbit kidney cortex.American Journal of Physiology (Renal), 278:F530-F539, 2000.
- Olson, B.R. Endocrinology Teaching Rounds: Primary Amenorrhea in a 17-year-old woman. J. of Women’s Health and Gender-Based Medicine. 9(5):489-494, 2000.
- Olson, B.R., Dickey R. Mass health education on sex and sexuality and its impact on Cuba: An interview-based medical report on the development, evolution and current status of this educational program in Cuba with emphasis on women’s health. Journal of Women’s Health and Gender-Based Medicine. 2002 Nov ;11(9):767-772.
- Olson, B.R., Dickey RA. Care of Common Endocrine problems in Cuba. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 89(5):1993-1997, 2004.
- Olson, B.R. Vasopressin receptor antagonists: a new class of
agents for the treatment of hyponatremia, Endocrine, Metabolic and Immune disorders-Drug targets. –2006 Sep;6(3):249-58.
- Kansagara D, Tetrault J,Hamill C, Moore C, and Olson, B.R. Fatal factitious Cushing’s syndrome and invasive aspergillosis: Case report and review of the literature Endocrine Practice Nov/Dec issue-2006.;12:651-655.
Non-peer reviewed publications for the lay public:
#16 has been featured on the Tufts Nutrition letter, and has been featured in both The Red Book , Walking, and Shape magazines, Readers Digest., Parenting Magazine, and consulted on various health/stress topics for the Waterbury Republican-Amecican newspaper.
Olson, B.R. The Educational Center for Integrative Healing and Wellness: A microcosm of the challenges and opportunities behind the concept of integrative Health Care. The Door Opener Dec 1999-2000 issue:10 – 11.